<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 14, 2006




SHE'S BACK

A catalog arrived in the mail yesterday. I didn't request it, and have no idea whose mailing list I'm on, but there it was in my mailbox. Leaflet Missal. Never heard of them, but it's a relatively large catalog, so they must be successful. I was about to toss it, but had second thoughts because the cover looked so 1950. There they are, all those statues of the Blessed Virgin, just like I might have seen them in 1955. Remember when the Blessed Virgin was a mother to us all? Well, if not, she still is, so join the family.

The cover tugged at my heart strings just enough to get me to open the catalog. It was a walk down memory lane. I don't know why this particular catalog so caught my attention. Others have come into my mailbox and not done it. In any case, I was curious enough to look up the company online. I mean, they've got THE Christmas ornament--"Just Say Merry Christmas". Yeah, I can relate to that!!

There is a two-page spread of crucifixes, and only one risen image in the bunch. Oh, this is so 1950! Fifteen years ago I would have been searching for the one crucified corpus in the lot. There are even two sick call crucifixes. Do priests still make sick calls somewhere on the planet Zircon? They sure don't do it here. Partially, I suppose, because people sick enough to need a sick call are tucked away in a hospital or hospice, and not in the front bedroom.

They've also got what I think will be on the top of my Christmas list. I'm guessing though, that I haven't been good enough this year to get it under my tree, and will have to save my pennies till I can buy it for myself. It's here on the website, but that's all I'm going to say. A couple of you may know me well enough to know what it is.

The owner of Leaflet, Terry Nelson, has a blog. There you can read about the downside of setting up the Christmas display in September. Oh yes, I can relate. Having been a full-time crafter for nine years, I remember making Christmas ornaments in July, and hearing complaints in my booth when they went on display in September. Retail has its own set of rules. A person selling stuff who defies them isn't a person selling stuff for very long.

Anyway, if you're looking for a Catholic Christmas gift, check out Leaflet. And, ahh, Merry Christmas!



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>