<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 25, 2005




RETURN TO RELIGIOUS CONFUSION

The Village Voice reports on a new book by Minna Proctor titled "Far From Heaven."

The book is about her father's decision later in life to become an Episcopal priest:

When I was a girl, my atheist parents casually asked me if I wanted to attend religious training like most of the other kids in my provincial town. I quickly said no, but never revealed the flaky eight-year-old's logic behind my decision: Hebrew school conflicted with ABC Afterschool Specials. Like me, Minna Proctor always believed that faith was optional. "I formulated the impression that I was meant to choose my religion as an adult," she writes in Do You Hear What I Hear? Her Jewish mother and Catholic father, both academics, had brought her up in a secular way. So when her dad tells her that he wants to become an Episcopal priest, she is flabbergasted, not to mention totally unequipped to understand his decision: "I could say that my father set me on a path to godlessness—and then abandoned me there."


Confusion abounds even among the intellectuals...perhaps especially among the intellectuals? That small voice in the night is so hard to deny.





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>