<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 26, 2004




E-MAIL FROM EARL APPLEBY

This month's issue of "Catholic World Report," features "The Struggle to
Save Terri" by CURE advisor Fr. Rob Johansen as the cover story. As Fr.
Johansen writes on Thrown Back:

"In this article, I relate some of the personal experiences of the
Schindler family, and my own experiences in helping them, in their
efforts to save Terri's life. I describe the circumstances of how I came
to be involved in her case, and my reactions to the inhuman treatment to
which she is subjected, such as her husband Michael's denial of a
priest's visits:

"I had never heard of a patient being denied pastoral care before. I
can't even imagine the kind of hardness of heart required to take such a
position. Even condemned criminals are given access to clergy! But Terri
Schiavo, who was guilty of no crime, was denied something we commonly
provide to the most heinous of criminals. It seemed to me that Judge
Greer had decided that Terri was so sub-human that she is could be
denied even spiritual comfort and consolation. I wrote at the time:

"As a priest, I cannot imagine being in Msgr. Malanowski's position. I
simply could not stand for such interference with my ministry. I would
be inclined to seek every means possible to disobey the order and visit
Terri. An unjust law is no law at all. Similarly, a capricious, inhuman,
unjust and gratuitous judge's order is no order at all.

"There is a long standing tradition in the Church of defying Caesar when
he trespasses beyond his rightful authority. There is a well-established
tradition of resisting Caesar when he attempts to deprive the Church of
her legitimate prerogatives. And so, I reiterate the suggestion I made a
couple of weeks ago: It is time to consider civil disobedience.

"It seemed to me that this deprivation of Terri's right to spiritual
care was the final indignity. If this wasn't sufficient motivation to
condemn Terri's treatment and mobilize opposition, nothing would be."

The article isn't available on line yet, but we will provide a link on
Life Matters! (http://cureltd.blogspot.com) as soon as it is. Our appreciation, as always, to Fr. Johansen.








This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>